IGD is a training and research charity.
We’re proud to help launch the world’s first Food Waste Reduction Roadmap in partnership with WRAP. The Roadmap sets out a clear path we should all follow collectively to tackle UK food waste wherever it occurs.
Retail Analysis is your window on the world of retail, providing insights on retailers, countries, stores and trends.
Our team of retail experts track the latest industry trends, deliver and analyse key news, and visit retailers and their stores around the world to provide you with commercial insights that will help you build stronger plans and work more effectively day-to-day.
Digital retail models of the future
Our new research examines how data and technology are transforming retail business models.
Better understand what’s influencing grocery shoppers today, with insight on this means for future behaviour both pre-shop and in-store. We talk to thousands of British grocery shoppers each year. We explore their behaviour, missions, sentiment and preferences across a range of different key industry themes and topics.
Shoppers of the future
Future-proof your business now to win with shoppers in 2025.
Use your supply chain to be more efficient, improve capability and grow your company. Supply Chain Analysis gives you the latest insight, case studies and thought leadership on how to build a successful supply chain.
Supply Chains for Growth
Download our report to understand how supply chain excellence will be a source of growth and value for the future.
Insight and capability to successfully trade in Asia's FMCG markets
Asia Trends 2019
Our top five trends shaping the Asian retail market and influencing retailer strategy over the next year and beyond.
Most visited retailers
City GuidesView All
Future Group is negotiating a deal to acquire large format retailer HyperCity, in an attempt to expand its presence across India. A deal is expected to be reached by the end of this month.
HyperCity operates around 20 hypermarkets in a number of different cities across India; Mumbai, Hyderabad, Bengaluru, Bhopal, Ludhiana, Amritsar, Jaipur, Pune, Ahmedabad, Delhi and Noida in Delhi-NCR. Food accounts for around 65% of HyperCity's sales, meanwhile a similar percentage of sales for Big Bazaar, Future Group's flagship banner, comes from non-food categories. It will be interesting to see if Future Group alters HyperCity's product mix of food and merchandise, should the deal go ahead.
Currently, HyperCity is 51% owned by the Shoppers Stop department store chain, with the remaining 49% held by parent group K Raheja Corp. The planned acquisition will add around 1.4 million sq.ft of retail space to Future Group's existing 14 million sq.ft (approx). This is spread across various formats through different banners operated by Future Retail and Future Consumer Enterprise.
Future Group has acquired several different businesses in recent years. In 2014 they acquired South India-based convenience store chain Nilgiri. In 2015, they acquired Easy Day after merger of its retail business with Bharti Retail to create one the largest supermarket chains. Last year, Future Group acquired Heritage Fresh’s retail stores in Hyderabad, Chennai and Bengaluru. They also acquired Sangam Direct last year which further consolidated their position as the country's largest grocer. Future's Group latest announcement indicates that they have no plans to slow down their aggressive expansion, as they continue to increase their coverage across the market.
Sign up here for our free newsletter to get the latest updates on Asia.